Love Love Love List: September 2017
And like that, autumn is here, September is nearly over and I have less than two months of maternity leave left. Peter is doing shared parental leave, so will be taking over from me in November until mid-January. It’s going to be an interesting time. I’m trying so hard to savour these last couple of months where Beatrice and I get to hang out just the two of us, and I get to enjoy my neighbourhood and community so much. For the time being I will only be working 3 days a week (although this might change in the new year), but the days when it’s me and Theo and Bee are just pure chaos, so there’s not much savouring going on then!
Some of the things I’ve loved this month…
- I finished The Omnivore’s Dilemma. It’s a big book, and I tend to read non-fiction pretty slowly, so it’s taken me a while to read. BUT, worth it. At first I thought it was going to be a one-sided view on the industrialised food industry in the US, and it starts there, but then it looks at how some farmers are trying their damndest to balance their farms, and it looks at foraging and big Organic, and the pros and cons of being a vegetarian (the author is a meat eater) – all in all, I’d say this is an incredibly balanced and smart look into the food industry today. If anyone knows if there’s an equivalent for the UK market, please let me know as I would love to read it.
- I am currently reading Tin Man, which I am really enjoying. It’s also very SHORT, which is great as a change.
- I bought a new backpack. It was expensive and it was not vegan. But I looked EVERYWHERE for a really smart, good sized backpack that had adequate pockets and good padded straps, and this was by far the best one I found. I sold around £100 worth of stuff on eBay recently, so rationalised it as really only costing me £29.
- Speaking of eBay, I’ve become kind of addicted to selling things, ever since a bathing suit I’d bought which didn’t suit me actually turned a profit (!). Do you have any tips for getting the most out of the things you list on there? I feel like there’s a lot more I could be doing.
- I have really been enjoying The Simple Show podcast recently. Loved their recent episode about dating in marriage and particularly loved the most recent show about attention span. It’s just a personal take of two women chatting about any topic, and I like their approach.
- From the most recent episode, I learned about The Turquoise Table movement, if you could call it that. I LOVE THIS and am definitely going to do it. I might not get a table just yet, but definitely going to start spending more time playing with Theo in the front yard. Maybe then some of the neglected plants out there will survive!
- I know this is TMI, but I just got my period again (insert sad face emoji here), and I’ve been using one of these. Excellent, excellent stuff. I was so nervous about it not working, but it was fantastic. Never going back.
- I’ve found my new favourite cooking blog – Lazy Cat Kitchen. I’ve cooked a few of her recipes now and they have all turned out so well. Really recommend.
- Staying with recipes for a minute – HOW GOOD DO THESE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES LOOK? They are my next bake, for sure.
- Ben & Jerry have started selling non-dairy ice-cream in Tesco and it is unbelievably good.
- A great list of resources for anyone considering going vegan.
- Not loving this at all. Poor show, Nikon.
- Also, this news is grim.
What articles have you read and loved lately? What blog posts have you read (or written) that you’d like to share? I’d love to hear from you in the comments!
This post contains affiliate links, so if you buy something, I earn a few pennies. I only ever link to things I love.Keep in touch