Wow, sooo January’s been different for me! On my mind has been pretty much one thing and one thing only: my new son, Theodore! He was born at the beginning of the month and wow what a challenging but wonderful month it’s been. I think I’m finally losing the exhausted/terrified look I’m calling ‘newborn face’, although both of those feelings are very much still a part of my daily life now. It’s a huge adjustment getting used to very little sleep (some nights I’ve maxed out at 45 minutes!) and getting used to the patterns of this little tamagotchi I’m trying to keep alive.
I’m not back to blogging properly yet, that might take me a little while longer (although I do have some recipes ready for February!). But here’s what I have I been thinking/reading/doing while I adjust…
- I’ve been seriously wondering how the hell people did newborn parenting before the advent of the smart phone/internet. When you’re up at 3am feeding the baby thinking about whether you’re doing it right and how you can get them to sleep through and how damaged they’ll be if you let them sleep in bed with you because they don’t want to sleep anywhere else, it’s been pretty helpful to have some answers at the touch of a button! The NHS and Babycentre websites have been particularly useful.
- Also thank goodness for my NCT group. What a nice group of women, and incredible to think we barely knew each other before, and now spend many late evenings/very early mornings sharing what we’ve learnt in the short time we’ve been mums and sympathising with each other’s various post pregnancy woes (and sharing the cutest photos of our little ones!)
- We have made a conscious decision to keep Theo off social media as much as we can – this is probably the only photo I’ll be sharing of him on the blog – so to share photos with our family, we’ve been using the Life Cake app. So good if you want to share photos privately with a specific group of people.
- Speaking of apps, my cousin Charlotte and her husband have launched a brilliant one: Healthy Selfie. It taps into the idea that seeing your fitness progress visually is a massive motivator. I’m on there already with my ‘before’ photo – look me up under BeNourishd!
- Actually, I’ve been surprised that my belly had gone back to reasonably normal size pretty much straight away. It’s a bit wobbly (ok very wobbly) but it feels like the ante natal yoga three times a week did the trick! Now to get some post natal yoga in. I don’t think my body’s quite ready for it yet but hopefully it’ll be ready soon as my back and shoulders are crying out for a good stretch!
- I FINALLY finished Dominion. I ended up having to buy it again for my kindle as reading a massive paperback with just one hand was not working for me. But it was worth it. Very pacey and fun read.
- Now I’m on Half Bad. Anyone read this yet? What did you think?
- I requested a copy of Modern Way to Eat from three different people this year but no one got it for me. So, after seeing it hailed as amazing in yet another cookbook round up I decided to order it for myself! I can’t wait until I’m up for cooking one or two things from it!
- My new box set is Revenge. The Count of Monte Cristo, one of my all time favourite books, set in the Hamptons. Pure gold. Not sure how they’re going to extend it over three seasons, but loving it so far.
How have you been? What have I missed while I’ve been cosied up with my little Teddy? I need things to read at 4am, so please share some good articles/blog posts with me!