7 delicious meat-free recipes to try
Over the past couple of months, I’ve been trying to eat more vegetarian or vegan food. I noticed I was eating a lot of bread and meat, and sometimes struggling to get 5 portions of fruit or veg a day. Not ideal! So as well as adding in fruit to my breakfast and fresh lettuce and avocado to my sandwiches, I’ve made it one of my goals this month to have at least one entirely veggie day each week, ideally more.
But it’s not just a health issue. There are also a couple of other things that are sitting around in my head, which have been niggling away at my thoughts, encouraging me to eat less meat. Mostly to do with the anthropomorphism in Theo’s books. As my dad reminded me, I stopped eating pork for about 4 years after seeing Babe, so this isn’t really anything new. But really, watching Peppa Pig while eating a bacon sandwich is just a bit weird.
I think if I lived on my own, I would dramatically cut down my intake of meat, but I’m married to an ex-vegetarian, who now tries to add bacon to any veggie meals I cook! But I have got him to agree to eating a lot more meat-free recipes as a family. These are seven that I either love or am planning to try soon, so if you’re looking for a simple vegetarian week night meal, look no further!
- Halloumi wraps: marinade sliced halloumi in olive oil, juice of one lime and a bunch of mint. Griddle until nice and browned. Serve in a wrap with avocado, a smudge of hummus and some crisp lettuce
- Mushroom meatballs: A really different recipe, this one, and gorgeous but warning: you must enjoy mushrooms! Also, there’s a lot of chopping so not one for every day.
- Veggie chilli: About 4 people recommended this recipe to me when I was looking for veggie suppers and it did not disappoint.
- Quorn bolognese: I haven’t really got a recipe for this, but it was a bit of a revelation. Quorn is great! Who knew?
- Veggie loaded quesadillas: I made these for my mum not too long ago and they were so yummy. Plus they only take about 15 minutes to put together.
- Sweet potato and feta frittata: I make this every couple of weeks. It’s so easy and absolutely delicious. Plus it’s rilly rilly good for you.
- Butternut squash and spinach rotolo. A new one for me. How great does it look in the video? This inspired me to do a butternut squash lasagna, recipe to come soon!
Have you been eating much vegetarian fare lately? What are some of your favourite recipes?Keep in touch